Sunday, August 3, 2008

Rising to New Heights

For many weeks now I have been trying to climb one of the three coconut trees in the backyard of my house in the suburb of Malalayang, Manado. They all stand around 15 metres tall and leave me feeling very small and insignificant. Each time I try to reach the top, I get around half way up and begin to look down. As I look down, fear takes hold of me and my knees and feet begin to shake, and my palms become sweaty. I look up and see another 8 metres are needed to reach my goal: a fresh, young coconut. I decline the challenge to continue and begin my descent.

At my house are 6 males and 5 females. One boy, Salam, is a 17 year old with leprosy. He cannot climb the trees because he has deformed feet. Another, Onald cannot because he also has a problem with his feet. The other two, are both not strong enough to climb the trees. That leaves Meldy, the only male who is able to collect our prized coconuts to enjoy and used for a variety of meals: drinking, oil for cooking and milk for yellow rice and pumpkin and rice porridge. Today, Meldy is leaving for his home in the Island of Halmahera. Thus, today I woke up with a greater sense of responsibility for climbing the three giant monoliths.

Before I began my ascent, being a man who believes that there is more to what we can see and touch, I decided to begin the day seeking spiritual insights from the Bible. The section I read were some words from Jesus who said: “I assure you that if you believe and do not doubt, you will even be able to do what I have done to this fig tree.” I could have laughed; it was as if this story was speaking to the direct challenge before me. I had to rid myself of doubts and fear and have faith I could reach the top. Instead of allowing this to strengthen me, the fear began to grip me as I thought “I can’t do this.”

I began my ascent. I reached 7 metres to the place where the footholds are a little smaller. My feet began to ache. I looked down. Fear began to rise within me. I looked up and saw the goal. I continued. Swapping my feet on a small hold I began to spiral around the trunk as I continued to climb. 10 metres, 11 metres, only 3 more to go. Getting closer my confidence grew and I began to celebrate victory. I got up to the top.

Celebrating victory I almost forgot where I was and the fact that I still had to get down! I twisted 3 coconuts and watched as they plummeted to the ground and gave off a deep thud. When I finally got to the bottom I was told by my friends that the three coconuts were already old and unable to be used for drinking and eating; only for cooking. Despite my apparent failure I chose to dwell on the fact that I made it to the top and achieved one more step in identifying more with the people of North East Indonesia.

1 comment:

Susy said...

Great story Will! Wish I'd been there to see that climb - well done ;o))